Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Martha Beck, Expecting Adam.

Adam smelling the bushes: the spirit rejoices in the sensual.
10: I don't know if I ever met anyone at Harvard who found it pleasant
42: John was one of about 50 students to achieve the coveted status of summa cum laude. I managed to love & accept him despite this ... His mother leaned over to me & explained: "John is not really intelligent. He's just a hard worker"
44: With that enormous smile that means that he's really, really worried
73: The real magic is in the pumpkin, in the mice, in the moonlight; not beyond ordinary life but in it.
77: Harvard's Dr. Smurf
98: Whatever supernatural beings are operating around us, they are working from a priority list that is very different from mine. Strangely enough, I have learned to trust them anyway.
101: Adam has angels like a dog has fleas
110: We took to our new environment like a hog to slops
116: Those of us who are trained in the social sciences know how to find data to support whatever we want to be true
222: The lifetime of fear in Dr. Grendel, desperately avoiding the stigma of stupidity
246: I did not see the imposing powerful father of my childhood. I saw an old man who had never, not for one moment of his life, believed that it was possible to be loved for himself.
262: My karma ran over my dogma
271: The Down's teenager who could not speak but could use a computer
285: I prayed without trying to control the answer

No comments: